1 Corinthians 10:31 (NIV) So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Case for Cookbooks: A dying breed!

In the age of the world wide web and subsequent availability of mass amounts of free information, cookbook sales seem to be on the decline. Why pay for a cookbook when you can get recipes for free online, right? I would actually make an argument to the contrary. Not that I am against using the web to find recipes and cooking tips - believe me, I use it all the time and it is indeed a fabulous! However, I often find using the web to be a bit daunting and overwhelming; quite frankly, it's information overload.

For those of you who are just starting out with the whole cooking thing, looking for new ideas on the web may be a good place to go occasionally. However, there is nothing like the security of having a collection of great recipes in a readily available, condensed format. Many of the clients that I work with that are trying to prepare more meals at home feel completely overwhelmed by the process of not only preparing meals, but planning and shopping for them. Anything you can do to make this process a bit less daunting will be helpful; I promise.

My suggestion is to spend some time at your favorite bookstore. Grab a good cup of coffee or tea and just sit in the cooking section of the store and peruse the selection of cookbooks. Look for books with recipes that you will actually make. Yes, I know this sounds silly but don't be too idealistic in your selection. If you're like most of us and juggling home life, work and a million other things or if cooking is not high on your list of things you enjoy doing, then choosing "The Gourmet Cookbook" might not be the best choice. Find a book that suits both your taste preferences and time restraints.

Check out the "Resources" section of this blog and "My Favorite Things" for some of my favorite cookbooks and cooking resources!


No comments:

Post a Comment